Friday, August 19, 2005

First step toward a marathon

For almost 2 years now I have been telling myself that I was going to train for a marathon. I actually started the process last year but soon after, found out I was pregnant and due to some health risks I was asked to cease running. So for the past year or so I have had it on hold. Well the time is ripe. Since I struggle with the mental aspect of running for long periods of time and distances, I invested in some reading material that will hopefully help me overcome my tendency to talk myself out of the challenge. I started one book last night entitled The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer. Within the first chapter I was inspired. On its pages were the thoughts I had been fighting with since I first set this goal for myself. I will be starting from scratch since I havent run in so long but I have come to realize that my biggest pitfall wont be the running. For me it will be "making yourself a priority equal to all others in your life for 16-20 weeks" as requested by the authors. That is my struggle.

1 comment:

Magnanimity said...

Ann Kiemel Anderson's books are older, but she's a runner and diary-ed her internal battled conversationally. She made me want to run and be disciplined. Might give her works a try. Christian perspective. She ran for charities, etc. You seem like a good match.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0842315594/qid=1124687057/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7762792-3568145?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Locations of visitors to this page