Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Through Painted Deserts


Donald Miller has a new book out entitled Through Painted Deserts. However that book is not what this blog is about, its just the title that has been echoing in my mind the past few days. I just returned from a trip to the deserts of the West (Utah and Nevada). While out there, we took advantage of the opportunity to go hiking/running in what is known as Hidden Canyon. (To see more pics- click on the Hidden Canyon link). It was breathtaking. Im always amazed at how being in nature inspires me to be creative, to focus on my breathing and be silent. I was in awe. The deserts are so dry yet so rich in beauty and light. I was reminded of Eden- 0ur beautiful beginning- and that there are still glimpses of that found in places like Hidden Canyon, The Rocky Mountains, my son's smile. Yet we tend to focus on the darkened parts of this world lest we forget our genesis and the potential it held for us. Let us utilize the beauty designated to us so that others can be reminded of it's purity and inspiration even when unable to get away from it all and retreat into nature. Let's remember, and be reminders, of the beauty that remains in this world.


"The ability to see beauty is the beginning of our moral sensibility. What we believe is beautiful we will not wantonly destroy."
Reverend Sean Parker Dennison 2/05

1 comment:

Randy Elrod said...

Bethany,

great JOB!!! on this blog. I have added it to my blogroll. A blog is not complete without a blogroll. that is a list of your favorite blogs.Will you please add my blog to your blogroll?

Thanks,

Randy

Locations of visitors to this page