Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Abandoning my plans of escape

I've noticed that if God really wants me to pay attention to something He will make it a reoccuring theme that will come at me from several different directions. The latest lesson has been the art of living well where I am at. I tend to miss out on the stuff of today because I am thinking life will be better somewhere else. I spent 7 years in TN thinking that once I moved to a bigger city, things would really take shape for me. Now Im in Florida and I still act as if life itself is just on the other side of a few more state lines. It makes things hard for Nathan b/c it always seems like I am wanting more when in all actuality I am constantly wanting different. When I get different, I want something different from that. Almost a "grass is always greener" thing. But the problem with that is like I said earlier, Im missing out on now.

What really drove this point home for me was an excerpt taken from Kyle Lake's final sermon (1972-2005) found in Relevant Magazine. Here is what it said, as if directly to me: "Here is what I think God is saying to each of us, 'Abandon your plans of escape. And Be where you are. Plant gardens and live and live well.' Breathe in and breathe deeply. Be PRESENT. Do not be past. Do not be future. Be now. Smell. Laugh. Taste. Taste every ounce of Life. Because it is most definitely a gift."

I also heard it said in a sermon recently, "Grow where you are planted." Then Nathan wrote a verse really big on our bathroom mirror where part of it said, "Earn a reputation for living well in God's eyes and the eyes of the people." (Proverbs 3:4)

So that is my goal. I want to enjoy and endure the lessons, the blessings, the moments of here and trust that here is exactly where I am supposed to be. So live! And Live well!

1 comment:

MOM said...

This is something I work on daily - a recurring nightmare, so to speak. The Lord leaves me here, though, so I guess I'm not supposed to leave just yet ........... sigh

Locations of visitors to this page