Monday, January 30, 2006

Be generous with your life

Ive always considered myself an open book. Ask me a question, and I'll answer it leaving no details out. Some people consider that a weakness but I have found it to be a strength-especially when it comes to sincere relationships with other adults. I don't expect the same openness to come from others b/c their social style may be different and their life may seem, to them, too dark to bring into the light of every passerby- and that is ok. It's just the way I have chosen to relate to people-no strings attached, just me exactly as I am. It's all a part of a bigger story about what God is up to anyway.

As I was teaching a Bible study this weekend, I scanned over some verses talking about the whole "salt and light" lifestyle in Matthew. I came back to them the other day, not knowing why, and read them aloud.

"Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God." (Matthew 5:16 - The Message)
This is the verse that jumped out and grabbed me by the throat.
Recently both Nathan and I have stepped up our "game" when it comes to being involved with our church youth group. God has really challenged us to dive into them, help them feel loved, and teach them how to show others the same kind of love they are receiving from our Heavenly Father. I have been praying about how I can "get in" with them and through this verse it was revealed to me. The same way I am with my peers, I ought to be with them. So I tried it, and let me tell you, it has changed so many things already.

So what's my point? Not sure, but I know that this verse taught me that by being generous with the sharing of my story/my life, some will be promted to open up their stories to God. That to me, is more than worth it.

2 comments:

Cherie <> said...

That's awesome Bethany!

The youth definitely need someone who will be completely open and honest with them. Our church is so blessed to have you and Nathan as a part of it. Thank you so much for the time and effort you guys put into our music and youth!

Hope you're having a great week!

God bless!

MOM said...

be open is very hard for me and I have always admired you for your candidness. I feel I am a "close to the vest" person and it's difficult for me to share comfortably ... interesting perspective on why it's good to be more open

Locations of visitors to this page