Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Overfed but undernourished

I was looking through a baby food cookbook the other night and I read this statement: "Americans today are overfed but undernourished." I was struck by the thought of it. Life in excess is simply not healthy. We are more concerned about quantity than quality.

Then of course, as I, a Christian thinker, tend to do, I applied the phrase to my spiritual life. OH MAN how it rang true! I am spiritually overfed but tragically spiritually undernourished. Sure there are a ton of church events that I habitually attend but are they fulfilling my need spiritually? Is the supply able to meet the demand of my soul? The answer I came up with was No. For some of you, it may be yes, GREAT!

I just think this statement puts into perspective how our excessive busyness in Christian things is not necessarily an expression of our receipt of spiritual nutrition.

If your answer was no, like mine was, we have to re-evaluate the things we are doing. If our time spent there is not of value or benefit to us or anyone else, then it is unhealthy. Seek those areas of service where you will be challenged to grow, change, learn etc. Don't over-attend in effort to appear "full." Look for the spiritual nutritional value of each event, or group, or meeting and determine whether it would be good for you. If it isn't...dont go.

If you are attending a church that doesnt nourish you so that you are better able to "pour out" to others, then go somewhere else. The only person responsible for your spiritual health and growth is you. So take care of it. Keep yourself fed by the right things instead of the most things and you will see how much better you feel.

Let me sum this all up by saying, I think Christians today are overfed but undernourished.




"Most sermons sound to me like commercials - but I can't make out whether God is the Sponsor or the Product."
~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page