Monday, February 27, 2006

The marathon


Well folks I have just participated in my first marathon ever. Before I tell you my results, I feel the need to set the stage for you. Imagine rain.....lots of it. And on top of that really strong head winds. Then imagine having had no sleep because your son was screaming all night. Then add the fact that you have a respiratory infection and are constantly coughing and blowing who knows what out of your nose. Ok so now I can start the race story. The starting race time ended up being postboned (after I had already been dropped off) due to the intense weather and high traffic so we waited at the start for an extra 30 minutes. Then off we went-into the forceful winds and over slippery bridges with the rain pelting all of us in the face and soaking our clothing. We were freezing in no time. The route was pretty most of all, sea ports-fancy houses-beaches etc. But it was all hard to concentrate on when you are fighting against a wind much stronger than you are trying to push you the opposite direction than where you intend to go. There were both positive and negative thinkers all around me being very vocal. I focused myself onward. Then they split the 1/2 marathoners from the full marathoners and I found myself all alone. At the half way point (13 miles) I looked at the time and saw that I was doing better than I had ever run before -2.5 hours. I was positive I was going to finish. I had overcome sickness, sleepyness, weather, route distractions and here I was still running. Then the pain started. My right knee was trying to give up. But I wouldnt let it. I pushed and pushed and eventually it gave out. I tried to keep going but I could barely muster a hobble. So I made the hard choice and decided to cut across and head toward the finish line. I was encouraged several times to get on a golf cart and get a ride back since I was looking so pathetic but my pride wouldnt allow it. I limped my way to the finish. Overall I was able to complete 22 miles out of the designated 26.2. In some ways I am dissapointed but in another part of my head, I know that there was nothing more I could do. I had conquered much to get as far as I did and for that I should be proud. Guess I better start researching where the next marathons are going to be and get signed up-that is of course after I get my knee looked at.
Still running...

10 comments:

husband said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! You did fail to mention that it was freakin' freezing outside too! You are my hero!
I love you.

Becky said...

Congratulations, Bethany! What a trooper you continue to be! You encourage and inspire me, and I am proud of you.

Brad said...

You rock Mrs. Roxy Gaddis! So many things to overcome and yet you still got out there and ran your butt off! Get that knee looked at and then come run the Music City Marthon with our small group (well, we are doing the 1/2 marathon, but you can show us all up!).

Cherie <> said...

That's awesome Bethany! Hey, for being sick and for the weather conditions being that way, that's amazing!

Hope your knee gets better soon!

Iz said...

YOU ROCK!! No amount of wind and rain could make me run... And I couldn't run 9 miles on a good knee, let alone to run it on a painful one after running 13 before the pain...You are amazing! Congratulations!!

Roxann said...

You rock!!!! I am so happy for you. You continue to be a great leader for our youth group.

MOM said...

If you ever want to make your mother cry with sheer pride bursting out of her, run past her limping on a sore knee in freezing wind & rain ........ You have more guts and gusto than I do and I am so proud of you, I could just bust! I am SO grateful to have been there to watch you and be part of your cheering section.

MOM said...

If you ever want to make your mother cry with sheer pride bursting out of her, run past her limping on a sore knee in freezing wind & rain ........ You have more guts and gusto than I do and I am so proud of you, I could just bust! I am SO grateful to have been there to watch you and be part of your cheering section.

Randy Elrod said...

Bethany,

Congratulations!!! I have NEVER faced conditions like you faced for this marathon. Wow!!

I am also very proud of you!!!

I plan to do the half-marathon also at Nashville.

Come on up!

Randy

Caitlin said...

I knew you could DO IT!!! I admire you for you determination and hard work. I hope all is well. Talk to you soon. :)

--Caitlin K.

Locations of visitors to this page