Monday, April 24, 2006

A fear of violence

I have been reading Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul as an attempt to see things from my husband's perspective. I came across a section that really struck a chord with me, and if this book is right, will become an area of deep excavation if I truly want to change it. The idea is that of the dangerous side of men being at it's root bad. Let me explain...

I dont think doing dangerous things like rock-climbing or bungee jumping or motorcycle riding is bad but I definitly get uncomfortable with the idea of guns and weapons and anything where violence could be an option. The book says that I shouldnt prohibit my son from playing with guns b/c he is going to end up making them out of graham crackers and other toys anyway b/c its in his nature. There is an expression of strength of heroic proportions found in such activities for boys. Yet I cant get past my fear of violence. But what if he becomes one of those that takes it too far and causes injury to someone else or even to himself? And to that John Eldredge, the author, responds...

"Yes a man is a dangerous thing. So is a scalpel. It can wound or it can save your life. You dont make it safe by making it dull; you put it in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing. If you want the life he offers, you have to have the danger too."

Im torn. I dont want to hold back or tame my husband or son but I truly have to fight against my inclination not to trust them based on the news and my comfort zones. This will be a process... to say the least.

2 comments:

MOM said...

kinda like raising daughters ....

jennifer said...

I found your blog by accident but I am glad that I did. I am also a fan of Eldredge. I have read most of his books and am now wading through JOURNEY for the second time and am plodding through SACRED ROMANCE for the first time. They are so good! And amazingly, as I was reading JOURNEY on a plane ride to NYC, the man next to me--a stranger--looked over and started conversing with me about the richness of Eldredge's books! I was thrilled to talk with him about one of my favorite authors!

God bless you!

Locations of visitors to this page