Monday, June 26, 2006

New Christopher Guest creation

I recently found out that a new Christopher Guest movie is coming out November 17th. I am thrilled! I am a big fan of his films. If you dont know him by name, maybe you know some of his works: This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, or A Mighty Wind. Regardless he is a genius when it comes to improvisational humor. Apparently his new gem is going to be called For Your Consideration and will tell the story of several wannabe Hollywood actors in "a movie within a movie." Some of his "regulars" will be assisting in this comedy including Parker Posey and Eugene Levy and more of the old gang, as well as newcomer Ricky Gervais.

Here are some notes about this hilarious filmaker taken from an interview he did back in 2003, just before A Mighty Wind came out.

"Christopher Guest doesn't especially like hearing his movies described as mockumentaries.

The 55-year-old multi-hyphenate artist argues that while most of his films are shot in documentary style, they aren't intended to mock anyone or document anything. They're reality-based, not in a network-TV sense, but one that allows the assorted dog shows, heavy metal concerts, community theater productions and folk reunions to serve as backdrops for comic character studies of people obsessed with their work or hobbies. Of course, it's much easier for journalists to label them "mockumentaries" and be done with it.

How do you come up with your ideas?
CG: I don't work with high-concept things that start with a premise, "Wouldn't it be funny if there was this spy who met a ..." For me, it could be, "What about people who sell shoes? That must be a bizarre world ... when they meet at conventions and talk about shoes."
That sort of thing fascinates me. Someone sells urinal cakes on the road. There are these worlds out there and it doesn't matter what it is. They're fascinating."

1 comment:

Iz said...

I finally saw the infamous "Waiting for Guffman" just last weekend! Every theatre friend I have ever known have all been appauled that I had never seen it... Get the DVD. Skip right to deleted scenes. Continue to page 2 of these...the one about the river. You MUST see this scene!! We rewound that note at least 20 times...I think I actually wet my pants.

Locations of visitors to this page