Thursday, June 29, 2006

Superman Returns

Nathan and I were able to go on a matinee date yesterday afternoon and see the new Superman movie Superman Returns. It was incredible. Nathan of course could talk circles around me about why it was so great but this is my blog so I have to come at it from my "perspective" right!? So here it goes...


This movie was awesome. It stayed so true to the Superman I grew up with (Christopher Reeves). Even the opening titles were a throw back to the 80's version. Brandon Routh did such a great job learning the art of differentiation between Clark Kent and Superman. Not to mention how often I had to remind myself that he wasnt Christopher Reeves at all, but a new Superman. You could tell he did his homework.

The obvious Christian undertones were such an encouragement in the movie. Superman's dad would say things like, "Even though you've been raised as a human being you're not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son ."

Superman also says to Lois Lane, "You wrote that the world doesn't need a saviour, but every day I hear people crying for one."

There are so many places that make reference to Jesus in this film. Maybe its because Im a Christian that I am quickly aware of the relationship of statements like those and the Bible but regardless, its cool to see the Gospel get presented through a blockbuster Hollywood movie.


I highly recommend everyone go and see this flick! As an added bonus, you will get to see the trailer for Spiderman 3-which looks pretty darn interesting as well. Happy movie-going.

1 comment:

*The Blogstar said...

Great review Bethany. We just saw it tonight. FRIKIN SWEET it was!!!!

It could've gone on for another 2 1/2 hours for me.

Chad

Locations of visitors to this page