Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Tradition!

(Read above title in an emphatic sing song format as in the show "Fiddler on the Roof.")

Its interesting the things we remember or habits we have based on the things our parents did with/for us. Its almost a tradition in the non-traditional or non-intentional sort of way. I've probably confused most of you so allow me to use the example that prompetd this blog in the first place.

I went to the dentist and the orthodontist (sp?) alot when I was younger because I had braces (twice), retainers (that I continuously lost), headgear (thats right), cavities and fillings etc. (You didnt think this amazing smile came naturally did you?!) Anyway, it was never a scary thing for me to go because it was so familiar to me as a part of life.

Well I haven't been to the dentist in a few years because we haven't had insurance until we moved to FL. Today I got to go. Thankfully I have no cavities and nothing else was mentioned that would require more treatment. So I proudly got in the car and started driving home. Suddenly I was bombarded with the urge to stop and get donuts for breakfast. It was a strange thought because I rarely eat donuts let alone crave them. I began to question this seemingly innocent prompting and came to the realization that it's a "tradition" for me to get donuts after a good dentist visit.

You see, when I was younger and we would leave the dentist, if the report was good, my mom would always take extra time away from her work and my school day to get some donuts. There was a shop just down the street from the doctors office that we would stop at and enjoy some donuts together in. It was awesome!

All that to say, you never know what sort of traditions you are establishing within your kids. Later on into their adult lives they will find a strange habit, like getting donuts after a dentist visit, and realize the special moments they shared with you that formed into some untraditional traditions for them.

It makes me wonder what Jaxon will remember. Will it be donuts after the dentist or something else? Regardless, its a special connection you will always have with your kids. Seek those untraditional traditions with your kids. They are a legacy of love when they think back on them.

Thanks Mom!

4 comments:

Roxann said...

Cute story! Funny, I have a habit when all 6 of us are together doing something (not always a fun thing either) I say stop.....THIS IS A MEMORY. Ask L about hauling rocks in the backyard! LOL

MOM said...

Amazing what makes a tradition - or a memory imprint. Your writing this brings up the picture of us at that little doughnut shop and us sharing a good moment together. It felt to me like we were stealing time away from serious duties - and such a treat for me! Thanks for the reminder. And glad you had a good dental visit .

MOM said...

P.S. Thanks for using the title 'Tradition" as well ... you know how I LOVE that movie.

Bethany Gaddis said...

Is there more than one way to spell donut or what?!

Locations of visitors to this page