Saturday, September 23, 2006

Currently Reading



I started a book on the plane to Africa called No Man is an Island by Thomas Merton. I thought I would have plenty of time to read, and I did but reading isnt how I decided to use that time so I am just now getting back to it. I re-read the first few chapters to jog my memory and here are some highlights:


"The spiritual life is the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern."

"even our love if ourselves is something we owe to others."

"My successes are not my own. The way to them was prepared by others. The fruit of my labors is not my own: for I am preparing the way for the achievements of another."

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main." -John Donne

"A happiness that is diminished by being shared is not big enough to make us happy."

"If we are going to love others at all, we must make up our minds to love them well."

"I must become convinced and penetrated by the realization that without my love for them they may perhaps not achieve the things God has willed for them."

"Respect the true being of another and grant their personality room to grow and expand in its own original way."

More to come...

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page