Saturday, February 17, 2007

Too comfortable

I am comfortable with the stage Jaxon is in right now. I can pretty much count on my instincts and follow the patterns he has fallen into and that makes things much easier for me. But as we approach his second birthday I am getting this sense that change is heading quickly our way. We have begun plans for the "big boy" bed transition and potty training and so on. This makes me uncomfortable. I have never done/taught these things before and I don't know if I will succeed or fail-which causes me to fear the changes. These are necessary adjustments for his development- I mean I can't allow my 15 year old son to climb into a crib and wear diapers now can I?

Anyway, all this anxiousness reminds me of how comfortable I can become with things. So much so that I neglect even the necessary changes from taking place and therefore stunt my own growth. I often hold myself back due to the fear of and unfamiliarity to the changes being presented to me. But they are for my growth and therefore, although they may create a kink in my complacency, I should be embracing them.

There will most likely be some sleepless nights when Jaxon moves into the "big boy" bed and most assuredly some messes I would rather not deal with when we start to potty train but I have a goal in sight and whatever it takes for us to get there is what I have to be willing to not just endure but enjoy the journey through because it will teach me how to do it better next time. And there will be a next time. There is always a next time.

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks. i will definetly have to check it out. Your post was really good, I especially liked the part about enjoying change rather than enduring it. So many times I catch myself just enduring it, especially when it come to college.

Locations of visitors to this page