Sunday, March 04, 2007

Reflections

Well we made the trip back to Kentucky. We drove 5 1/2 hours to Missouri on Friday, had the funeral on Saturday and then drove 5 1/2 hours back to KY today. Tonight (in a few hours) we will make our final drive back to Naples, FL (16 hours). I wont want to get in a car for weeks after this trip. I will start walking to the grocery store if I have to.

Here are my reflections:

The day of the funeral was somber but beautiful at the same time. Funerals are like that. I think its so interesting how flowers are a gift given to a family during times of loss. It's almost as if we need to be reminded of beauty during a time when things seem so dark and ugly. When you are feeling an emptiness, something about beauty calls forth your faith and hope again. Anyway, the flowers did that at Grandma's funeral too. But so did the pictures. All around the room were pictures of her friends, children, grandchildren and the 3 great-grandchildren. Moments shared, smiles caught on film, memories capture in space and time displayed before our very eyes. As I parused the photo albums and picture frames I was taken back to that day, that spot, those feelings. For example, I remember sitting around the table at her surprise 80th birthday party with all of the family watching as Grandma Berry's face lit up at the announcement that John and Becky were pregnant with twins, the first two great-grandchildren. I remember feeling the warmth of my own son growing in my womb, anxious to see her face lift again at the words I too would be sharing with her soon enough. "We are pregnant," I said under my breath so that I alone could feel the weight of them. Then there were the pictures taken every year at Thanksgivings and Christmas. Each family group with grandma, then the children with grandma, then the grandchildren with grandma then...well you get the point. Then I noticed a picture frame with pictures I gave her as a Christmas present because I was lucky enough to draw her name one year, propped up on the table. All around us was a beatiful montage of our life with her. I feel so blessed to have been a part of it, even for just 5 years or so.

I was also struck with the spectrum of life's journey. Because when I can look at grandma's body laying still in a casket in one minute and in the other see Drew, Grayson, and Jaxon running around the funeral hall so full of life, and energy I know that life goes on. Her life goes on, inside all of us.

I had to miss the actual funeral due to Jaxon's nap schedule. However I was able to pay my respects and share my tears over our loss. But it was her gain, as she was a believer and her casket stated the message so perfectly with the embroidered words, "Going Home."

Well Im going to rest now before we get back out on the road. See you on the other side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The reward is at the end of the journey." Grandma and Grandpa are together in heaven looking down on us and smiling.

Aunt Bonnie

Locations of visitors to this page