Thursday, April 05, 2007

Book Review

I just finished Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell so I figured I would share my reading experience with you.

At first it was difficult to get into. I think that had more to do with the fact that I was too tired to process the info then it would anything against the book. But once I started making sure I was at least slightly conscience before I would pick it up, I could hardly put it down.

Honestly I felt like I was in a Jewish history class. It was very educational. Rob Bell explained the Jewish culture and traditions during Jesus' age which offered me a new lens to look through. Then he would hold up a scripture I had read a thousand times and somehow it looked different. The meaning was deeper than ever before. Even more importantly, the verse becomes more challenging to my personal life. Having learned the culture, I was made aware of the deeper implications of something Jesus would say.

We are called to a devotion level I feel we barely skim the surface of today as Christians.

All that to say, I highly recommend it. And based on what Nathan tells me, Rob Bell is getting a lot of flack for his recent book SEX GOD. All that controversy leads me to believe I will like that one as well. Another birthday gift idea!

2 comments:

Kristine dB said...

Sex God was amazing. I finished reading it about 2 weeks ago, and after talking about it a bit with a friend today, I realized that I should read it again, to pull out the things that I didn't catch the first time.
I think that people hear the title and immediately think of one thing, without realizing all the underlying thoughts and themes Rob talks about. Yeah, it's about sexuality, but it's about so much more than that. It's about the way we treat others and ourselves, and what we think about God and what He thinks about us.
Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there, and say that I agree that you should read it!

Michael Krahn said...

Hi Bethany,

I've just posted the first of a multi-part series on Rob's book "Velvet Elvis".

You should take the time to follow the link to a post by Ben Witherington regarding the accuracy of Rob's telling of Jewish history.

Join me in conversation at:

http://ascenttotruth.blogspot.com/

Locations of visitors to this page