Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Confessions

I was thinking the other day about how my sensitivity level has changed. I mean, when I used to hear B*%$@ or A*% I would be appalled. Now a days I have to fight the urge to not say them myself. (Which lately I have been losing.) These words can be found in almost any TV program on any day. Let's not even get into what can be said in movies or music. It's shocking what has become acceptable conduct.

(Kids are cussing at a younger age- in case you didn't realize it, the F-word is said more often in a conversation with kids then "and" or "the." Or at least it feels like it.)

Maybe you think I'm an old-fashioned, irrelevant, mom now but I am truly surprised at how much things have changed and so quickly.

Its like one minute you are in a well-lit room when suddenly the lights shut off. At first you are groping in the dark and you feel disoriented amidst your environment. Then after a few minutes your eyes adjust. You can see well enough to maneuver your way around again. But you are still in the dark.

That is what I feel like I have done. Instead of searching for a light switch, I have allowed for my eyes to adjust to the darkness. Now it no longer frightens me so I feel comfortable going about my tasks within it. I have allowed the environment to infiltrate my standard rather than upholding the one I was taught to live in light of.

My apologies to any of you who have realized that around me lately.

1 comment:

Cherie <> said...

I agree with you. It is absolutely sickening how adjusted I get to these things too. It's funny, I just noticed a couple of days ago how I had fallen back into old habits of cursing. A Bible verse immediately came to mind: James 3:9-10 "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." It made me realize that I cannot glorify God by using those words, so I needed His help to stop again. It doesn't help that I have co-workers that use language like that and classmates...but with God's help I can stop and be less calloused to such terrible things that permeate our world now.

Locations of visitors to this page