Friday, April 20, 2007

The tension

" Whether we believe God caused the trial or that God merely allowed the trial, one thing is clear: He could have prevented the trial. He could have given us a good time, at least a better time than we had. That fact creates within us a tension with God."
- Shattered Dreams
By Larry Crabb


We all have dreams. Simple dreams like having a faithful husband/wife or having a ministry that blesses many or having children that won't do drugs and get arrested or hoping people we know and love will never have a heart attack or die or ... and the list goes on and on. They aren't necessarily selfish dreams. They aren't dreams for a nicer car or a bigger house. They are dreams of a life that God blesses. But I have learned that some dreams important to us will shatter. Dreams shatter regardless of how faithful you are. Scripture says, "The rain will fall on the just and unjust alike." It is not because I am less faithful to God that my singing career never took off and it's not because the guy I married is more faithful that he was able to be Grammy nominated and in a video on MTV. It is simply the fact that God has chosen that life for us. But its the realization that God could have fulfilled those dreams that pushes me into a terrible battle with Him.

For example, why wasn't my sister spared her life at the age of 12? Its obvious God is capable of saving a child's life because it's in the Bible. I have read the story over and over how Jesus brings a 12 year old girl back to life and I fall back into that tension of asking God, "why not my sister? I know you are able. I believe you can do it again." Truth is...He can do it. He just isn't going to do it. That isn't part of His plan for my life.

So what do we do in this constant struggle? I guess just hold on tightly to the truth that "shattered dreams open the door to better dreams, dreams that we do not properly value until the dreams that we improperly value are destroyed. Shattered dreams destroy false expectations, such as a life without struggle or failure. They help us discover true hope. We need the help of shattered dreams to put us in touch with what we most long for, to create a felt appetite for better dreams. And living for the better dreams generates a new, unfamiliar feeling that we eventually recognize as joy."

I'm in the shattered dreams stage, hoping joy is in the future. Where are you?

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

We should not regret or be angry for what we have lost. We should aspire to it. Sometimes when we sacrifice something precious, we are not really losing it. We are just passing it to someone else. In time, God will reveal the reason for his decisions.

Brandi Chambless said...

If we never stepped into the land of shattered dreams, how could we exhibit the faith enough to step into the light of hope? Faith wouldn't be called faith without the reality of broken dreams and empty promises.

Recovering said...

I have posted about this kind of subject before (Kind of). and I have wrestled with these kinds of things for years and I know it sounds cliche but once I REALLY believed in my heart that God is God and I am not...I started to find comfort I never was able to conjur up on my own before.

Cherie <> said...

I guess I'm kind of in the shattered dreams stage too...I'm not sure.

My biggest dream has always been to become a Contemporary Christian artist like Nichole Nordeman or Natalie Grant, etc...but I think so much discouragement from others led to my believing that dream was hopeless...I would think I wasn't talented enough, or I wasn't pretty enough...

Brian asked me recently what ever happened to that dream...and I thought for awhile, then I told him I guess I gave up on it...

Oh what I wouldn't give to use my talent in some way again to glorify God...

Anonymous said...

The bottom line is trails are for our own good or someone elses. Take Stephen for example. If you told him his death would inspire billions and asked if he would go through it again? Sure he would. Or Job. Would you go though something bad to stand up for God against the devil? Have you considered my servant Bethany? How cool is that to hear. Sometimes it is to help us. My Father died when I was a month old. My Mom had 6 kids. What would have happened if my Dad lived? God knows. He knows my Father is home with him so that's cool. He knows that He has taken care of my Mom and the rest of us time and time again. He also knows this is just a blip. A tiny little tick. I used to dance. I got accepted to a world dance tour. Only thing is I was in the hospital with a knee that would never dance again this side of heaven. What do I do about it? I tell other people to dance here and plan on dancing for a about a billion years there! You want to sing... sing! If your not that good sing louder. No dreams are gone. They may be delayed a bit but remember Caleb. (Also the name of my son who I'll first see in Heaven.) but wether your 40 or 80 it doesn't matter, go with God and do it. Acta non verba. Deeds not words.

MOM said...

When I read this book, it really hit me when he said when we are in a painful crisis and we want to blame God and hate God, that is exactly when we need to have huge faith in God. It reminded me of you speaker friend in Nashville who lost his wife and children and all he had was his faith in God. That is SO hard. But it is where we need to be. And I needed to hear/read that and take it in ... this, too, shall pass but God is always there. Tiffany's death defines my life in many ways - I took so much for granted before that catastrophic event. I wish I had been stronger then - but I am stronger now and I guess that is worth something.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR MOM!!!

Locations of visitors to this page