Friday, May 11, 2007

Last night's dream

I am not very good at remembering all of the details but I hope to recap a dream I had last night. I am a firm believer that our dreams are often messages of what is going on at a deeper level inside of ourselves so they are worth investigating. I think the meaning of this one was rather obvious to me.

So like I said, I can't fill in all of the gaps but picture a friend and I walking through a grocery store, shopping on one of the aisles and singing a song together at the top of our lungs. We had tight harmonies, amazing licks and such a warm tone to our little duet. It was beautiful. I felt so fulfilled while we were belting out each note. Later in the dream, after we left the store, another girl came up to us and rudely said that we were so off key. She went on and on about how bad we sounded. My friend became, in an instant, so embarrassed and started rambling about what a fool she looked like and how she couldn't believe that so and so heard her singing off key and how she would never be able to show her face in that grocery store again. She was so overwhelmed with worry and fear and her self confidence was deflating rapidly. I puffed up my chest and said something to the effect of, "Who cares if we were singing off key? And who is she to decide we were off key in the first place? I loved our song and I feel good about singing out loud like that. It made me feel alive."

I think this dream goes well beyond singing ability. There are so many things we feel alive doing but are discouraged by others and therefore we deny our true heart toward something. I guess in my dream world, I know exactly how to react to situations like that but in all actuality, I am more like my friend. Maybe I should follow my own example eh?

1 comment:

Cherie <> said...

"There are so many things we feel alive doing but are discouraged by others and therefore we deny our true heart toward something."

-Wow, this reminds me of a story about my singing abilities...weird...Long story short, I had a professor tell me I didn't have what it takes to sing professionally and I took it to heart...Maybe that's part of the reason I haven't sang in public in about 2 years...and singing is definitely something that makes me feel alive...

Locations of visitors to this page