Monday, May 21, 2007

Slow people

I recently started reading the latest book by one of my favorite authors Anne Lamott called Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith. In the prelude she shared another one of her wild and crazy stories from life that included a beach, a hippie ex boyfriend and a book that awakened her faith. She said that after reading this book she started praying differently. No longer was it phrases such as, "God, I'm such a loser." Instead what prayers flowed from her heart were statements like, "Hi" and "Thank You."

But then she said this, "I viscerally got that God was everywhere; poor old God, just waiting for you to notice, and enter life like a track coach for slow people."

I feel like a slow person most of the time but especially on days like today. I have a headache for the upteenth time this month, my son is bi-polar (not clinically just some days), there are dishes in my sink that beckon my attention that I am trying to avoid, its too hot when I go outside and I feel ugly. This phrase caught my eye today- even though I read it yesterday.

Ok God, I will take notice. I will enter life now. Thanks for being such a patient track coach for slow people like me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay.......so take something
for your headache, pack some
snacks, and go down to pool.
Leave the dishes in the sink to
soak and they will clean easier later. Have a fun day!

Bonnie

Locations of visitors to this page