Thursday, May 03, 2007

Try, try again

"Try again" is a phrase in regular rotation of my typical day. It's usually directed toward Jaxon. There are so many things that he attempts that he cannot do at first. But instead of doing it for him, I encourage him to try again. Most of the time, he does. Some of the time he figures it out. Some of the time he gets frustrated and wants to hit something. But over the course of a few minutes, hours, days or weeks he will attempt that daunting task again and again and he will conquer that frustration and figure out how to do it on his own.

I feel so proud of him in those moments. Like when he started walking, or doing layups on his basketball hoop, or when he started climbing up ladders and things that are unstable at a playground. They are small accomplishments that took a lot of time and focus. They are accomplishments that never would have taken place if he had not tried again.

I am the type of person that once I "fail" at something, I give up. There are many aspirations I have had that because they didn't work out the first time I tried them, I never pursued them again. Those moments created in me a sense of discouragement and a lack of self confidence. I wasn't telling myself to try again- or if I was, I wasn't listening. This insatiable thirst for accomplishing something I didn't believe I was capable of was the catalyst for my marathon training. During my training seasons, I am reminded of how everything worth trying for is worth failing for.


What stops you from trying again?

"Very little is heard the first time it is said. Very little is learned the first time it is taught. Very little is accomplished the first time it is tried."

- Hugh Hewitt

1 comment:

Dawn Marie said...

What a blessing this was to me today. Thank you for this encouragement.
Dawn

Locations of visitors to this page