Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Ego booster

I submitted one of my pictures into a photo contest photo.com was doing awhile back and I got this email sent to me today.

"Dear Bethany,

Over the past year or so, we have been reviewing the thousands of photographs that have been submitted to us, as well as examining various pictures that have been featured by other photography publishers. After an exhaustive examination of this photographic artistry, The International Library of Photography has decided to publish a collection of new photos taken by the best photographers we have encountered.

I am pleased to tell you that you have been selected to appear in this special edition...The best photos and photographers of 2007.

Congratulations on your accomplishment, Bethany. Only a small percentage of individuals whose photos we have examined were selected to be part of this distinguished group of outstanding photographers.

And that's not all . . . To honor the accomplishment of this elite group of talented individuals, we have established a separate contest with over $4,500 in prizes to be awarded. You will automatically be entered into the final competition, but you must submit a new photograph. Prizes will be announced this winter, with an anticipated publication date of December 31, 2007. (This is a tentative date. More information will follow.)

The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 will be among the finest quality books we have ever published, so your photography will be presented in the most elegant way possible. Every aspect of publication and design will convey the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail that will go into the production of this special edition. The coffee-table quality book will feature a deluxe cover and spine. Quality typography will be displayed throughout on a fine-milled, acid-free paper stock that will last for generations.

Best of all . . .

This special edition will feature a new, unpublished photograph by Bethany Gaddis!

Before going any further, Bethany, let me make one thing clear . . . you were selected for publication on the basis of your previously published photo. Your new photo, which you will select for this edition, will be accepted for publication on the basis of your previous accomplishments. Your prior photo was among the most interesting pictures we have encountered, so we wish to feature your artistry in this special edition and make this special prize money available to you and the others who have been chosen. You are under no obligation whatsoever to submit any entry fee, subsidy payment, or to make any purchase of any kind.

As I mentioned above, your photograph will be accepted into this special edition, and as soon as we receive your picture, it may be immediately published on our website, www.picture.com and entered into the final competition of the contest. And let me reassure you, your photographic image remains your property - The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 is copyrighted as a compilation. This means that you retain the copyright to your own work of art. In order to make our scheduled publication date, you must submit your photo as soon as possible.

Again, congratulations, Bethany. The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 promises to be the most exclusive and widely enjoyed collection of photographs we have ever published. We feel that you take wonderful, captivating photographs, and we believe your newly submitted photo will add to the importance and appeal of this edition. Your contribution to this project is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Bryan
Managing Editor

P.S. Bethany, you should be genuinely proud of your accomplishment. You have been selected to participate in this very special project because of your unique vision. It is our pleasure to publish fine photographs such as yours in this special volume. And, most importantly, once you submit your photo to this special project, you may purchase a copy of The Best Photos and Photographers of 2007 at our special pre-publication price, if you wish to do so. The International Library of Photography will send you additional information about this special offer."

Ok so maybe millions of people got this email too but for me it was a nice ego boost.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Can't wait to catch up with you. We seem to miss each others calls. Will call again soon. Lots of love. Mere

DAD said...

Bethany,

After reading the letter content, here come the "tears of PRIDE!"

I am speechless. I know what this "NOW" (no opportunity wasted) can possibly mean. This will look great on your new website for Perspective, as well as in your marketing pamphlet.

Nice going, punkin'

Love,
DAD

Cherie <> said...

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment! Keep us updated on when the book comes out because I definitely want one for my coffee table so when I have company I can always say "I know her!" :) You are definitely the most talented photographer I know. I wish I'd known before my wedding because I would have definitely hired you for that!...Shhh, don't tell Debbie! ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bethany!

That is so cool! I can't wait to see the book!

MOM said...

What picture did you submit? And what will you submit for the next contest?

Bethany Gaddis said...

Well mom if you "rated my photo" you would have seen it was the African Art picture. I will probably submit the palm tree one (in your office) next.

Anonymous said...

hey..i just wanted to say that i also got the exact same email...i just wanted to ask..u think this is a scam or something?because i also got a "unique control number"i had to use to upload my new photo....but it doesn't work...the number is already there!..it says it doesn't accept it...so...i dont know..i just wanted to ask if you had the same problem?...

greetings all the way from the island of Curacao:)

MOM said...

Actually, daughter, I rated your photo AFTER posting ... I read your blog in chronilogical order... I really like it ... I may have to add that to my office collection

Bethany Gaddis said...

Well anonymous, I too am having that problem. It may very well be a scam. I called the support phone # and the guy said they were "working on it" and to try again the next day but that was two days ago. I will try again but I won't stress over it. Like I said at the bottom of my post, "maybe millions of people got this email too but it was a nice ego boost." So whatever happens doesn't matter...just made me feel good if even only for a moment and for that I am thankful.

Anonymous said...

yeah you are right...it was a hugeee ego boost...hahaha u should have seen my mom and grandma and stuff!!!!haahaha...i'm just a 17 year old male living on Curacao...and like to take pictures and stuff...you can see my picture here(if you like to see it haha)

http://www.picture.com/display.asp?ID=2211844

i was just looking at your "african Art"picture and i realy liked it...:)..keep up the good work!

Locations of visitors to this page