Thursday, September 20, 2007

Tiger Balm saved my life

OK so I don't go to the doctor much. But seeing that I am pregnant, sick all the time, and really frail it didn't take much for my mom to convince me to go after complaining about serious chest pains keeping me up all night and carrying on all day today. I had all my theories (acid reflux, heartburn, esophagus irritation) running through my head but still wasn't sure how to explain my pain to the doc. After some poking and prodding he diagnosed me with Costochondritis. Basically that means that I have caused the cartilage between my breastbone and my rib to tear/ become inflamed/ pull. This can be caused by "blunt injury or trauma to the chest" (my doctor says this is where the vomiting violently 2-3 times a day comes in) or "an infection such as cold or flu" (which is the respiratory infection and cough I have had for 2 months.) Let me put it to you this way...I have thrown up and coughed so much that I have torn my breastbone muscles. But that isn't what this post is about. The doctor prescribed icing my chest, limiting my activity (like that is possible with a two year old) and Tylenol.

Instead I came home and applied the age old Clark (my maiden name by the way) tradition of Tiger Balm. I am telling you...this stuff is miraculous. The second half of my day was soooo much better than the first. I could breath without clinching and I can lay down without wanting to cry. If you don't know what this miracle ointment is then you are missing out. Its like an Icy/Hot menthol gel that you put on strained muscles and somehow lessens the pain. Its smelly but hey, its worth the results.

Go out and getcha some!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I feel your pain, I was diagnosed with that too after a really bad case of pneumonia. It occasionally comes back if I do anything to strenuous, but knowing what it is makes it a much easier to deal with. I've never tried putting Tiger Balm on it, but I will now. Thanks for the tip.

Dad said...

Bethany,

Glad to see you believe in the "Ancient Chinese Secret"
It works on muscle soreness, headaches, sinus congestion,chest congestion.
The darker the color of the jar, the more potent. Read the label, though.
I have believed in it since the early 60's and still use it today.
Believe it or not I still have the "original" jar. Just a little goes a long ways.
Keep from rubbing your eyes and wash your hands thoroughly.
Better wellness is ahead, punkin!

Cherie <> said...

I am sooo glad you found out what was wrong! Hope you get back to normal soon...whatever normal is ;).

Recovering said...

I saw in a movie once that Windex works great on everything too! :)

Locations of visitors to this page