Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Crystal goblets and compost buckets

I came across a verse today that provides the perfect word picture for my struggle with this whole Christian life thing. It is found in 2 Timothy 2:20-21. Here is the Message version:

"In a well- furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets-some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to His guests for their blessing."

I don't mind the days that God uses me to serve the impressive meals upon or wine in but its those days, which seem more plentiful than the others (perhaps because of my struggle with it), that I have to be the trash compactor that I get pissed about. I don't want to be treated like garbage! I want to be the container that God's guest compliment and acknowledge. I don't want to be the one that gets overlooked, overused and devalued.

But such is the life of Christ. There were those that admonished Him, and worshiped Him and were in awe of His miraculous ways. But there were those who cursed Him, and mocked Him and beat the crap out of Him verbally and physically to humiliate Him.

Later in the book of Timothy it says, "But you-keep your eye on what you're doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God's servant." (2 Timothy 4:5)

It sounds so simple but its so difficult to live out. I need to keep my eye on what I am doing. Not focus my attention and energy on the goblets and silver platters but on what I am called to do and be. I must keep the Message alive in what my role is in this "well-furnished kitchen" of God's people. I, like Christ, have a job to do. May I be as thorough as He has been, is today, and always will be.

1 comment:

John said...

Dear Bethany,
Trawling today, found your blog and it cheered me.
Do glance at mine..if you feel inclined
http://soupyskyepraise.blogspot.com

Locations of visitors to this page