Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Eat this, not that.


I saw this guy talking about his new book called Eat This Not That and I thought I would share the premise with you. Its not another diet book, thank goodness. It sounds like a book trying to get us to make the better choices when faced with the options at the places we eat all the time (IE Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Macaroni Grill, were a few discussed.) Basically he is telling us the difference in calories, fat, sugars and sodium in foods we may think are better but really aren't. One example was that turkey bacon has the same fat and calorie count as regular bacon but is higher in sodium, which defeats the purpose of trying to eat the healthier version. Another comparison was between a white chocolate mocha lite frappaccino versus a strawberry whatever its called from Starbucks. The strawberry drink has the equivalent sugar level as eating 5 Haagen Dazs ice creams. It was crazy. Also he talked about how if you were to eat a veggie burger vs a well cooked steak it would be higher in fat content (sucks for vegetarians like myself.).

Anyway, just thought I would refer some of you who, like me, aren't looking for a diet but do desire to make better choices to this new resource. I can't recommend it since I haven't read it myself but I thought I would let people know its out there.

7 comments:

whittakerwoman said...

So can you bring the book with you to franklin? H

Bethany Gaddis said...

I don't have the book, just heard about it. Sorry.

Cherie <> said...

Hmmm...interesting stuff...I think you mean the Strawberries and Cream Frappuccino :) and yes, it definitely has a TON of sugar! I realized that an Americano with White Mocha Syrup is much healthier than a regular White Mocha. It's the difference between like 55 grams of carbs and 34 grams of carbs...and that's Nonfat No Whip! lol

bonnie said...

I wonder what the book may say
about the "skinny" lattes ?

I'll have to look for it at the
bookstore....

MOM said...

It sounds like a great book since we are often guessing incorrectly when trying to eat healthy foods. Problem is ... I'd have to carry it with me & read it while ordering. That could be embarrassing!!!

Anonymous said...

Punkin,

FINE.............. So much for my

"3m" "m3" or "triple mmmmmmmmm" Godd bye, Mocha Marble Mocchiato!

************** RATS! ************

DAD

Bethany Gaddis said...

Nathan bought the book so I will bring it to Re:Create.

Locations of visitors to this page