Saturday, January 05, 2008

Lesson learned from "P.S. I love you"

Today my girlfriends opted for a movie instead of our usual Sat morning breakfast. We decided to see PS I Love You. Yes it's a chick flick but it has a lot of lessons to be learned from it as well. One of which I will talk about here.

Now usually when a girl walks out of a romantic movie they either think, "wow I wish I had a guy like that in my life." or "Guys like that don't exist. Its a fairy tale." But this one was different for me. I had the unique opportunity to walk out of the movie being able to confidently say, "I AM married to that man. They do exist. He is my fairy tale come true." If you haven't seen it, let me explain that the guy is a funny, handsome, romantic, full of life musician. If you know my husband, he is all of those things as well.

The opening scene is of the couple having a fight and it was as if the lines were scripted from one of Nathan and I's disagreements as both sides sounded all too familiar. Right from the beginning I could identify with these two people. The rest of the story is what happens to her after he dies (I'm not blowing any secrets here that is the basis for the story.) But what I found interesting is that the movie didn't take the usual Hollywood route of her dealing with his death but instead opted for the 'what happened to her passion in life' path. You start to watch as he leads her into a deeper understanding of who she is and how she needs to come alive from that place. The movie becomes less about him and more about her.

I left the theater feeling challenged to not only acknowledge but take part in the adventure my marriage to Nathan guides me through in my own self discoveries. Nathan is here to awaken me to a childishness that I neglect and an inner strength and purpose that I tend to stray from. He is placed in my life as a guide to myself. My true self. I can only hope that I will take advantage of those windows of opportunity while we are here together and not wait so long that it takes something like death to bring me to life like it did for the wife character in this movie.

1 comment:

bonnie said...

It sounds like a great movie.
Bravo!

Locations of visitors to this page