Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Progression

What is progression? Well progress is the act of forward or onward movement. Its a passing successively from one member of a series to the next; following a sequence.

Why is this important to know? Because we are created for it. We aren't made to sit still for too long or to build our lives on plateaus. We are born to climb summits and move forward and not get "stuck in a moment" as a mentor of mine Randy Elrod always use to say.

I was reminded of this by son. He is always in transition. He is always growing, changing, and developing some new attribute, talent or awareness.

The imagery of progression was drawn quite obviously for me last week when I was making a family album through Iphoto and I came across this succession of pictures.

January 2007
March 2007

December 2007

January 2008

Sure the challenge becomes more difficult but in the process we become better. Jaxon use to bang and clang. Then he moved on to pounding and slamming. Then it was alternating between drums and cymbals to create a variety of sound. Now he is playing rhythms and maintaining beats. If you were in another room and could only hear the way he plays his newest set of drums, you would think he were a 10 year old practicing his rifs from his drum lessons. But he isn't even 3 yet and certainly hasn't had any training. Its amazing to see how far he has come in such a short amount of time.

We have the same potential. Sure Jaxon is in a sponge like age range right now but why aren't we? When did we become too old to learn, grow and get better at something...anything? I don't know, but what I have learned is that I don't want to be stagnant. I want to experience progression. I want to get better and grow much throughout my lifetime.

How about you?

3 comments:

Cherie <> said...

I completely agree! Being stagnant is boring, not to mention against what God wants us to do. He WANTS us to grow in our relationship with Him each day. I am coming out of a spiritually stagnant time and it is so exciting!

As far as Jaxon and the drums, he's a natural! I remember hearing someone months back playing the drums in the WC during BLG time and it was kind of distracting because our room was so close-by. I thought it might be John Patterson or something, but come to find out it was Jaxon :). I was impressed, your son has talent! Of course, look at his parents ;).

MOM said...

Isn't he just the cutest thing? He does love drums and is developing decent skills at rhythms. What will you do about the "noise" once Jovie arrives?

bonnie said...

Isn't it wonderful!

Now think how much you have developed in the last five years. What one or two skills or thoughts have you advanced with?

Locations of visitors to this page