Friday, February 08, 2008

5 years and counting

What a great way to have been able to celebrate our 5th anniversary: alone but together and away from the hustles and bustles of our everyday life in Naples. Nathan and I had decided before we came to Nashville that we would split the day and I would plan stuff for us in the morning/afternoon while he planned our evening.

My half:
We woke up around 9am, packed our things and headed over to the Factory for surprise #1. (For those of you who don’t know, the Factory is a warehouse that has been turned into an artsy, cool, trendy collection area with lots of original shops, restaurants and hang outs.) Nathan thought he was just going with me to get my annual haircut at Izabella Day Spa but instead he was there to receive a special treat of his own. We shared a couples massage time together before he soaked in the steam shower and then relaxed in their peaceful setting in the back on a lounger, in a robe, with a cup of Tazo Passion tea. He told me later that not only was this the best massage he had ever had but that he was able to fall asleep back there. I was so thankful he took advantage of the opportunity to rest, as he doesn’t get much quiet time in his life. I got my hair cut in the meantime while sharing stories with my friend Iz over some Tazo Passion tea as well. YUM! We left there and ran a few errands (IE shipped the box we have of SWAG from Re:create back to Naples, got our wedding rings cleaned at the Jared store we bought them from, returned some borrowed crib pieces to a friends house etc.) We opted for some lunch at Calypso CafĂ©, one of our favorites in Cool Springs before heading to surprise #2. I took the wheel and drove us back to the Factory where we met up with my friend Casey Cornett. He owns a photography business and I had asked him to take some pictures of Nathan and I, a task we rarely do together despite my hobby. So we modeled for the next 2 hours. It was great fun. I can’t wait to see what the results are. I will be sure to share some of my favorites with you once we get them back. Then it was Nathan’s turn to surprise me.

Nathan’s half:
He jumped in the driver’s seat and we headed to downtown Nashville. We turned into the parking lot of one of the most beautiful hotels in town called Union Station. It is amazing. It is an old railway station turned lodge. We had only been here for a wedding reception several years ago prior to this. The structure itself is so beautiful and ornate. I was thrilled we were going to be staying there over night. We were treated like royalty in an instant with people bringing our bags to our room and such so I was impressed immediately. I took a quick shower before I was shuffled into a taxi that dropped us off in front of The Melting Pot where we had dinner reservations. Again I am impressed and thrilled. We eat more than you can possibly imagine by way of 4 courses, 3 of which being fondue. DELICIOUS! Then we walked through the brisk streets of downtown Nashville where we finally landed at the doors of a place called the Big Bang. We walked inside where I saw a stage with two piano’s facing each other both manned with guys playing every request placed before them. Its called a “dueling piano bar” I guess and it was so much fun. These guys played every song under the sun, going back and forth with commentary and jokes and audience participation all throughout. It was great! We were so impressed by the musicianship of these players as they took everything suggested and could play it perfectly. The styles ranged from rap, to country and everything in between. It was so much fun! Around 11pm we opted to head back to the hotel so we walked up Broadway to Union Station, our magnificent resort for the night. We crawled into bed and...well…that is where I stop recording everything for you.

All in all, this was the best way we could have spent our day together.

We go to KY tomorrow to pick up Jaxon and spend a day with Nathan’s folks. Our retreat from Naples is drawing to a close…sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bethany,

It is amazing to me that it has been 5 years. Congratulations!

Wasn't Union Station where Arthur's was where we went for your 21st Birthday? Where has the time gone!?

My sincere best to you BOTH!

Love,
DAD

Locations of visitors to this page