Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Somewhere between...

Mood swings are like a pendulum. Especially in a three year old. One moment they are the cutest thing on two feet and the next you want to disown them.

Dealing with the adjustment of having a sibling has been difficult for Jaxon so far. I guess I did a pretty good job of being his playmate before Jovie arrived because now he doesn't know what to do with himself when I am occupied. Instead he acts up to get attention and its saddens me. Because of this new bad attitude and disrespectful behavior, I have spent a lot of time searching my head and heart for where I feel God is guiding me to direct Jaxon's path through parenting. It all comes down to this summary statement I made for myself.

Somewhere between complete self-centeredness and feeling ignored is where I pray he lands at the end of all this.

What will it take to make that happen?

Some have suggested material such as Creative Corrections. Others say positive reinforcement while the opposing parties say stricter discipline. So I ask you, what have you seen work for your kids? Knowing they are all different, one of you might have the key to unlocking this uprise in Jaxon. Help me, help him.

Post some resources you support in the comments section. Don't tell me opinions, just give me options and places to go and I will do the rest according to what works for us.

4 comments:

John said...

Bethany,

I still think the best resource we have used so far is "Growing Kids God's Way". We did the class at our church, but I think you can do the series individually. It doesn't make you a perfect parent, but it does give a sound biblical philosophy to follow in raising Jaxon and Jovie.
Whatever changes you decide to make, it is critical that you and Nathan are on the same page.
The website is www.gfi.org.

roxann said...

Matt and I participated in a class(when our youngest was 1) that featured "Raising A Thinking Child" by Myrna B Shure It taught us the skills to teach our children to problem solve and resolve everyday conflicts. It helped us figure out how to teach each in the way that best worked for them individually . I highly recommend this concept.

Jyoti said...

I have a 6 year old and a 10 month old baby. I sure can relate to what you are going through. I however, didn't jave to deal with this problem as my daughter has been very very responsible and independent from a very young age. I know you are looking for ways for trying to fix this problem, but all I can tell you that this is very common, and looking for quick fixes might lead you to frustration.
I believe it's an insecurity issue for him. I would give him his due share whenever possible and leave him alone sometime as well.
I havent read any books so far but my son's pediatrician recommended me to read "Happy kids on the block".

I hope I was able to help........

Anonymous said...

Just love him - God will do the rest.

Locations of visitors to this page