Thursday, June 12, 2008

Another function for your bar of soap.

Ok so if you can't handle talking about bathroom body parts then stop reading.

Since Jovie was born she has been grunting. We learned she was gassy so we tried a variety of bottles, a variety of sleeping and wake positions, burping her more often, Mylicon, you name it and we tried it. The pediatrician even suggested giving her 3oz of water with 1oz of prune juice a day until she became regular. We did that for weeks but nothing changed.

Well one night at Bible study Nathan was giving Jovie her prune juice and our friends asked why he was doing that, so he explained our "bound up baby" predicament. Then Betsy, our all natural health nut friend suggested we try something she did with her kids. I wasn't there that night so Nathan came home and told me what she said and I couldn't believe it. I couldn't bring myself to do it either.

A week or so later, however, I was reminded of the suggestion and decided to give it a shot since Jovie hadn't pooped in several days. So here is what I did (and what Betsy suggested)...are you ready for this? I cut a piece of soap off of a bar we had the bathroom. I wet it so that there were no sharp edges and it was slick. Then I took Jovie's diaper off and inserted the strip of soap into her butt hole. SO I know this sounds gross but at this point Betsy said that it would just start falling out like "soft serve ice cream." So when I removed the bit of soap that is exactly what happened. Poop came oozing out. I couldn't help but laugh. What a perfect description. Then I changed her diaper every 5 minutes for about 30 minutes because she kept releasing more shooshie (what our family calls poop). It was miraculous. Honestly.
Anyway, now I am a believer!

If your baby is all stopped up, try this out. It sounds crazy but it has worked every time for me and my friend Betsy. Who knew?!

11 comments:

Paul J. said...

And the award for strangest, most unexpected blog post this year goes to...

becky said...

LOL at paul j.'s comment!!

Eddie Christy said...

What I want to know is who found this out and how they found it out.

On second thought... I really don't want to know.

Recovering said...

I hope I never have to deal with that again...

The Herrenbrucks said...

I am laughing so hard and officially storing this in my "soon to be a mommy" part of my brain! Great to see you today!

whittakerwoman said...

Hi, I wanted to have you email me... I do not have the email with all your info on it. H

Amanda said...

I wonder why it does that. I think I had heard of this before somewhere. Anyway, what Nathan might not have told you is that we ended up talking about poop for at least 20-30 minutes of our Bible study.

I also thought that Todd and Betsy had said to put the soap in her BOTTLE. Boy, was I mistaken.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Otherwise, I'd have a hurping, bubbling baby in a few months.

I should put all this in an email, but can you show me some of your pregnancy photos you've done before? I'm thinking about having you do some for us, but need to feel a bit more comfortable about the idea.

Thanks :) Have fun in Phoenix!

13point1 said...

many soaps include glycerin as an ingredient. the ones that don't are usually made from assorted oils and animal fats (ivory, for example).

try some glycerin suppositories next time - you can be assured that they are sterile and don't contain other strange stuff you might not want to introduce into your daughter's little tushie :)

we've suffered the exact same thing with our daughter and we tried it all.. the suppository works great :)

Mark Jaffrey said...

Innovation at it's best!

Bethany said...

This is amazing!! I read it out loud to Jordan and he just looked at me wide eyed!

Simone said...

10 comments and not 1 person asked the obvious???? I wonder if it works for adults, too...?

Locations of visitors to this page