Monday, July 21, 2008

Got milk?

Sorry if this post freaks you out but its too wacky not to write about. So here it goes...

I may not be good at a lot of things but I have found that I am good at making milk. Maybe that is why my kids become so "fluffy" after they come home from the hospital. Anyway, the other night I was overwhelmed by the amount of breast milk bags I had in the freezer. I figured I should probably organize it somehow since it was just consuming our little freezer. So I sat down with a bunch of grocery bags and a Sharpie and went to work. After about 30 minutes of sorting by date, I filled 7 plastic grocery bags with frozen breast milk dating from May- July (they are good for 3-4 months). I couldn't believe how much there was. I think I even have some in my mom's freezer in Phoenix from the time we spent there. At least I know Jovie will be taken care of for awhile even long after I stop pumping. The last few weeks I have even cut back how many times a day I pump (just 3) and still I have enough to feed her each day and then some to freeze. Sheesh.

When thinking about what I could with the milk in case I have some left over when Jovie is "done," I found some incredible resources. Did you know they have breast milk donation banks? Google it. There are tons. My mom even passed along a link to me where breast milk can be used to help kids in Africa. Amazing! Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

8 comments:

Cherie <>< said...

Wow woman, you are a milk machine! :) LOL

Amanda said...

I was just going to suggest that you donate it! Imagine some of the lives you could change.

Brian & Cherie Landowski said...

By the way, you inspired me to get started on my weight loss goal. I would like to join in on the Sunday Slim down postings with my site. I think it would be an awesome way to stay accountable. I just walked around my neighborhood (2-3 miles maybe) this afternoon and I feel great! Maybe this will kick-start my "slim down!" :)

P.S. - I am back on blogger now for good, please read! Thanks!

whittakerwoman said...

Pump, Pump, Pump it up! Good job girl, sadly enough I could not squeeze 4 oz out of me when I tried to pump. I gave it up the thought of pumping. I nursed but there was no extra. No milk man for me. I love that picture it is priceless! H

Kari said...

I am so jealous! I could store maybe 5 or 6 bags at a time but that's about it. You don't even have to feed anymore if you so choose!

Nathan said...

I even use it in my cereal and we still have left overs!

Bethany said...

OH...MY...GOSH...that's all I can say...AMAZING!

April said...

Have you considered continuing to pump for the children in Africa that have been diagnosed with HIV and need breast milk desperately? I know it is a huge sacrifice on your part, but what an awesome way to help.

Also, our adoption agency just added Uganda as a country they are working with to facilitate adoptions.

http://www.lifelineadoption.org/templates/cuslifeline/details.asp?id=26708&PID=576501

Locations of visitors to this page