Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Why blog?

I was thinking today about why blogs are so popular. I can't really answer that question for anyone other than myself so here is my response:

I have a blog for several reasons.
1. We have no family near by so its a great way to keep everyone up to date on child happenings.
2. I don't like to talk on the phone so this is a good way for my friends to keep up too.
3. I have little to no adult conversation during the day so a blog provides me an outlet into the world and sometimes adults respond (which is so refreshing).
4. Because in a past life I used to write. A lot. I have little time to do that anymore so this is my lame attempt at appeasing that urge from time to time...quickly.

I read blogs for several reasons too.
1. See #3 above. Its nice to know there is life out there.
2. Its like reality TV for the reader. You get to tune into certain episodes in people's lives and see how they handle it or deal with it. Sometimes its inspiring and other times its informative and causes me to ask myself the hard question, "what would I do in this situation?"
3. In a past life I read a lot of books. I have little time to do that anymore so this is my lame attempt at appeasing that urge from time to time...quickly.
4. Because everyone is doing it.

My favorite kinds of blogs are the ones that present the blogger's reality. Some don't like the family blogs or the too personal ones but those are the ones I often take time to stop and read. I like to see into their world and watch their journey. I like to learn from their mistakes and adopt their successes into my own life. Everyday I am in awe or disgusted or brought to tears or rolling over with laughter from one blog post or another. Emotions remind us that we are alive and sometimes just stepping out of my own world, even for just a moment, reminds me of that gift.

Why do you blog? Why do you read blogs? What types of blogs are your favorite?


This post is in participation of Watercooler Wednesdays

6 comments:

Urban Cottage said...

I also blog for the same reasons as your number 1 and 2. In addition, I blog to share my ideas, creative projects and ramblings. I love your analogy of blogging to reality t.v. -- great point.

Amanda said...

I blog to keep my mom and my aunt Cathy updated on my life. They're about the only ones who read it.

becky said...

I started a blog because I wanted to keep family and friends updated on our family more frequently than the annual Christmas letter! I love reading blogs by family and friends because I like keeping up with them and blogs makes me feel like I get to talk with them more regularly. My favorite blogs to read are people telling their day to day experiences, especially dealing with young children because that's where I am at in life too. I also read blogs (some of people I don't even know) because their lives inspire me and spur me on in my relationship with the Lord! How cool is that!!

Jim Drake said...

Bethany-- you beat me to this post. I was thinking about this the other day.

I'll link to yours when I post mine

Cherie <> said...

I too HATE talking on the phone, so reading blogs is my way of keeping up with friends. As far as blogging myself, I took a long hiatus awhile ago since I've been working a lot. Hopefully I will get back into it soon. There's just something about typing things out on the computer that is relieving to my soul and mind. I used to write song lyrics, but my mind is so jumbled I'm not sure if I'll ever write anything like I used to again. We'll see what happens after next Sat when I am finished with Starbucks!

simple christfollower said...

I love to read other peoples thoughts, to hear of their triumphs and trials, to learn and to laugh, and to step away from my own life to understand someone else's perspective. I write, not because I feel I have something major to contribute, but because I enjoy putting to text something that strikes a chord in my soul!
Thank you for your thoughts and your reasons for writing!

Locations of visitors to this page