Thursday, August 28, 2008

Where's your smile?

I can't remember the artist or title but there is a line in a song I know that says, "nobody wants you without your smile." That is how I've been feeling. I have completed every task given to me and then some but because I don't have an ear to ear joy indicator on my face, it's not good enough. I feel like I would have to skip around and whistle while I work in order for people to stop asking if I'm mad or telling me how tired I look. (Yes I'm tired but please don't tell me I look that way, its just not encouraging.)

Maybe it's what Oprah would call my "resting face." That is, what my face looks like when I'm not trying to control my cheek muscles. It just kind of hangs there. Or maybe it's the headaches I have everyday that without my knowledge, cause my face to wince or eyes to glare. Maybe it is because I'm tired and can't muster up enough energy to make my exterior sparkle when I am trying hard enough not to face plant into my dinner for some extra Z's.

Who knows. All I can say is that I'm not going to fake it. If I'm not feeling like Mrs. Bubbly today, tomorrow or for the rest of the year, I'm not going to act like it. But rest assured, I get what needs to be done done no matter what. I just wish people would allow me the courtesy for that to be enough for awhile.

4 comments:

Brian and Cherie Landowski said...

Thanks for being so honest and genuine. So many Christians (including myself) could learn from you. We should never walk around with a fake smile pretending all is okay when it's not! What we should really be asking is "can I pray for you?" So, can we??

Amanda said...

I'll take you without your smile any day!

Do you know how many people pointed out how tired I look today and the circles under my eyes? Agh. Thanks, people!

Jason Barton said...

say it sista! I feel the same way!!!

MOM said...

You ARE good enough just the way you are ... and I love you for your honesty and transparency. Good example for us all...........

Locations of visitors to this page