Friday, September 12, 2008

If I truly believed...Part Two

So as I mentioned before, I think that if we truly believed what we say we believe, things would be different. Sounds black and white. However a couple of nights ago I realized that I am a hypocrite. I don't believe what I say I believe. How can I tell? Because there is no evidence of it in my life.

Confession: I have an identity issue. Always have. (notice I didn't say always will?) My hope is that God will help me open that area up so that He can restore it. I have from time to time but I tend to fall back into the norm after things get a little more comfortable.

Ironically a study I am going through with our home BLG called Gripped by the Greatness of God, addresses identity questions in the last section. As I have been going through it, I have really been challenged by the truth that what I believe about God spills into what I believe about myself which spills out in my actions and attitudes.

For example: If I believe God is personal then my identity would be that I am chosen. My attitude would become one of confidence. Or if I believe God is present then I am strong and my attitude is 'I can perservere.'

There are many of those examples in the book but the gist is, if we really believed what we say we believe about God then our identity would be affected and our attitude would change.

Dear God, I believe. Help my unbelief.

2 comments:

bonnie said...

Look for a small miracle each day, such as the sun rising or a flower blooming. "God is in the small stuff and it all matters". I keep this in mind when considering my identity. What do you do?

Amanda said...

I just want to know which one of you called James Macdonald and told him about me and my issues!

This week had a great study. I hope but don't hope I'll be there Tuesday to talk about it.

Locations of visitors to this page