Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My friend

My friend Cheryl came to town this past weekend to see us.Let me tell you the story of Cheryl and I. We met during my Colorado years. I was a new Christian attending a community college while living at home and she was a solid Christian girl going to design school and living with a roommate. We crossed paths at Denver First Church of the Nazarene in the college and career class (there really wasn't one so I was just part of the process to create one.) Needless to say we hit it off. She was so much fun and we did a lot of silly things together (IE climbing out onto my 2-story house roof during a rain storm to play and dance in the rain.) She was so full of life and laughter and I absolutely loved having her around. You know, I can't think of a single time I ever had drama with her. Which if you know me well, you know that there is a lot of drama when I try to relate to other girls. She was always so laid back and easy going and I loved her.

Well time passed (a year later), as it always does and we both went our separate ways. I journeyed to Tennessee and she landed in San Diego. We didn't really keep in touch regularly we would just check to see if the other one still existed via email or something impersonal like that. The next time we saw each other she was driving through Nashville during her move to Virginia and we met at the Pancake Pantry for some breakfast. Then we returned to our usual checking in from time to time. Which brings me to this past weekend. 10 years since we have ever lived in the same place and now with her living in Atlanta and me living in SW Florida, she came to stay with me.

How refreshing she was. It was truly life-giving to spend time with someone who knew me before kids, before marriage, before the crows feet around my eyes. She is still the most comfortable person to be around and I loved having her here. My kids fell in love instantly which tells me she is still one quality chick. It felt so familiar having her around. We crashed on the couch watching football, spent hours at the pier just feeding the baby and watching Jaxon exfoliate himself with the sand, grabbed coffee in the church cafe, played cars, burped Jovie, ate leftovers...it was great. It was as if she had always been here. I can't thank her enough for the gift that her presence was for me this weekend. I've got to talk to and hang out with her more over the next 10 years.

Do you have a friend like that? How did you meet?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

That is so sweet! I have a lot of friends like that, but I don't know if any of them would come visit me. I know each of them changed my life in very significant ways. They were in and out of my life so quickly, though, it's almost like they were angels, put into my life for a time when I needed a friend the most.

Brian and Cherie Landowski said...

no, I don't think I have ever had a friend like that...well, maybe one but we haven't talked in several months. I am REALLY bad at staying in touch with long distance friends. I hate talking on the phone...but I do recall several long phone conversations with this friend that were very refreshing. Hmm, maybe I should check in with her.

Brian and Cherie Landowski said...

oops, I forgot the how we met part. It's actually an interesting story. I was at college (Boyce College) in Louisville, KY. Kim and I lived like 2 or 3 dorms apart and had never met. A few weeks into the school year we had a power outage in our dorms. So, some friends of mine (actually mutual friends of the both of us) invited both of us to hang out at the mall until the power turned back on. We had so much fun together that day that we kept hanging out and became really good friends. Unfortunately, after one year I couldn't afford to go there (I couldn't find a job and my parents couldn't afford to keep paying) so I moved back home. We check in every now and then to see how each other is doing but it's been awhile. I do miss her though. We had many good conversations and she was always good at telling me what I needed to hear, not just what I wanted to. She was the stronger Christian of the 2 of us and a huge encouragement to me in my walk. I wish I had a friend like that after I moved back home...

MOM said...

WOW, you guys look just like you did in Highlands Ranch!! Glad you reconnected - it is always rewarding to have a lifelong friend.

Carolyn said...

Bethany,
Cheryl is one of MY great friends here in Atlanta, and she told me so many great things about you too. I can back up all that you're saying on here, bc/ I feel the same way.... solid in her faith, NO DRAMA, tons of fun and just a beautiful soul (inside and out). Thanks for sharing this! Great blog...
Carolyn

Locations of visitors to this page