Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Themed Family Night #1: Dr Seuss

So I have a friend that is super creative that blows me away each week with the themes of her family nights. I decided I would give it a shot. While I don't foresee being able to do it weekly like she does, I want to make the effort AT LEAST once a month. So I started playing with a few ideas for night #1 and decided upon Dr. Seuss night.

First the decor: We have a red and white umbrella that I flipped up side down and strapped to the dining room chandelier. Then I covered the table in white paper with Dr. Seuss quotes written all over it and crayons so we could color as we ate. Then I lined the center of the table with our small collection of Dr. Seuss books. I also turned all the pictures on the walls in different directions so they looked all skewed and the cookbooks on the shelf were turned upside down with the book holders on top. I hung a laundry basket and our swimming noodles in various places from the kitchen ceiling- just to make it look even more silly.
Next the costumes: I put the kids in red shirts and labeled them Thing One and Thing Two.

Third the Food: I made Green Eggs and Ham for dinner and dessert was ice cream with red swedish fish ("One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish" reference).

Lastly the activities: We did a connect the dots page where it marked out Horton from "Horton Hears a Who"; We read the books on the table while we ate; We played "tape the hat on the cat" (Jaxon cheated); and we watched the Cat in the Hat movie with Mike Meyers while eating popcorn.

All in all a good time! There were a ton of ideas I had that didn't take place due to a time crunch I got in today but overall I covered it well.

My goal/outlook today was: Have fun with your family and don't get stressed out, just be creative with what we already have around the house.

Family Night #1- FUN INDEED!

FYI- Little did I know until after I made all these plans that Sept 24 is the actual day the ghost writer "Dr Seuss" died. Interesting eh?

6 comments:

whittakerwoman said...

Love the umbrella! So fun! Great job mom! H

Bethany said...

That is awesome, Bethany!!! I am going to start storing up ideas now!

Brian and Cherie Landowski said...

Looks like so much fun! You are so creative. Oh and your Thing 1 and Thing 2 are pretty darn adorable :).

The Herrenbrucks said...

I LOVE IT - I too am storing up ideas!!!!

michellelloyd said...

love it! as a teacher this is one of my favs!
keep this idea in mind so when the kids get older you can do it in March when its Dr. Seuss' birthday. AWESOME!

Rebeckah said...

This is so much fun! I love that your goal was to have fun and not get stressed out. Life is too short to be stressed all the time, right? Totally LOVE your Thing 1 and Thing 2. Did they like family night!

Locations of visitors to this page