Tuesday, November 04, 2008

My son is a genius

Ok I know every parent says that but I think its true of my Jax. I know he has always been really quick to pick things up but his capacity for learning really shocked me the other day when I bought him a new puzzle. (Yes my son loves puzzles, deal with it.) Anyway it was $4 at Target and even though it said it was for 5 year olds and up I thought I would get it anyway. It wasn't as "filled in" as I thought it would be upon getting it home, so I assumed he wouldn't be able to do it and I put it up on the shelf for when he got a little older. Well he didn't forget that I had just bought it and he wanted to do it. I explained that there were too many pieces and that it would be really hard but he insisted. Let's just say my jaw was on the floor as I watched my 3 year old put together a puzzle of the entire United States in less than 15 minutes. I made him do it again so I could take pictures.
You might be thinking that's easy. Sure, when it comes to Texas and Alaska and all the other big states but what about the ones in the middle or the little bitty ones in the northeast? He knew all of them! It was incredible. He could name at least 80% of the states and the rest he figured out by the shapes and markings. Since then he has done it a thousand times and it never fails to impress me.

So if your thinking about getting him something for Christmas...think flash cards and educational items (no more books please.) I should probably work with him a little more if he is going to grow up and be a rocket scientist and all.

5 comments:

MOM said...

Good looks AND brains ... must have good genes. I love that kid.

Brian and Cherie Landowski said...

Wow, we need to put him on a show or something: Jaxon Boy Genius :). You have a very smart little boy on your hands. I don't think I learned where all the states were until like 4th grade. Just wait til he gets older and he graduates High School at 16 or something. lol...Okay maybe that was a bit extreme, but with how smart he is you never know! :)

The Herrenbrucks said...

Okay, I was FLOORED last night when he was pointing at the tv screen and naming the states. Bethany, that's amazing...take it coming from a teacher - that's good stuff...amazing for a Pre-K'er. Go Jaxon!

Teri said...

Hi Bethany,
I've been blog-stalking your blog for a while and I have to say that I'm completely impressed with Jaxon's geographical abilities. :) I'm totally feeling the same way about the educational toys for Hunter lately. I did a bunch of research on plastics a little while ago and I ended up putting a bunch of plasticky, noisy, and un-creative toys on a big lot and craigslist and have now opted for simpler toys that inspire imagination, knowledge, and creativity. We always have grandparents inquiring as to what to get the kids for christmas and birthdays, so to go along with this new toy movement I put a bunch of toys I liked on "The Things I Want".com . Check it out if you want and let me know if you have any ideas. www.thethingsiwant.com/pencefamily

Amanda said...

Teri's right. Educational games and toys are good, but the best toys (it's proven) are simple and inspire imagination, knowledge and creativity. Blocks, Legos, etc. are some of the best toys out there, for example.

I'm telling you as a Pre-K and first grade teacher myself, Jaxon definitely has heightened capabilities in several areas. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Locations of visitors to this page