Thursday, January 08, 2009

Just ask

I had been admiring the Christmas decorations at Starbucks for awhile when I came across this BLOG entry from my friend Bethany. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask my nearby coffee shop what they were planning to do with the stuff after the holiday was over. They told me that they were either going to throw them away, donate them or sell them. I told them that if they were going to throw it away then please call me and I left my info. Weeks went by and nothing happened. Then I heard through a friend that works there that they had sold the stuff. I was sad but life moved on. Then a week ago Daniel (our friend) handed me the wreath and said that the doves were taken but not the wreath. I was so excited b/c the wreath was my favorite part of the group. Then on Sunday I stopped in and Daniel told me that no one had come to pick up the dove decorations and that his manager said they were now "fair game." He handed them over and I placed them in my car right away. It was so cool. Yes I already have my Christmas stuff packed up and in storage but now I have these three lovely pieces to add next year!Just goes to show...it never hurts to ask and even Starbucks who claims to do so much good for the world, can be wasteful.

5 comments:

Brian and Cherie Landowski said...

That is so funny. If I had known I would've grabbed the stuff from my store for you. :) But it's true, we can be pretty wasteful. A lot of stores don't donate expired pastries even if they're still ok. Most stores don't even recycle because the landlord won't allow it or something. My store only recycles cardboard because the dumpster won't allow any other recycle. It is pretty funny how the world thinks Starbucks does so much and is so great, but once you see from the inside you see things you never thought were true.

whittakerwoman said...

I loved that wreath! Great job! H

becky said...

My mom loved the decorations at Starbucks a couple of years ago and asked if she could have them. They told her to come back in after Christmas...she did, and now they are a part of her Christmas decor!

Bethany said...

YEAH BETHANY! Now we share names AND Christmas Decorations- hahaa!

John said...

Not sure how donating decor to grateful recipients is wasteful.

Seems like a win-win for all.

Locations of visitors to this page