Thursday, March 05, 2009

Doing what works

I have never been consistent with reading my Bible. (Other than when I was a Religion major in college when it was a text book I was required to read.) Sure I have worked through a devotional book from time to time but it never became a habit and it wasn't the WORD itself. Besides, it always felt like something I had to do.

A few months ago my 11th grade BLG and I took part in a challenge I called "Eat the Word." There really wasn't all that much to it other than feeding our spirit before we fed our flesh. In other words... read the Bible before you eat ( breakfast, lunch, snack or dinner). It was a symbol of how our priority was to strengthen our spiritual lives before our physical ones.

The way I chose to do this was through journaling. I went out and bought a 2 pack of school notebooks and at the top of the page I would write the book of the Bible and the chapter I was reading (I read a chapter a day). I would highlight parts in my Bible as I went along and copy the parts I underlined into my notebook. Then I would start a section called "My heart." This is where I chew on and apply what the passage has to say to me. Lastly I pick out one verse that either summarizes it or is memorable from the passage. It looks like this:
Its hard to say why this is working for me but it is. I look forward to it every day. It takes about 20-30 minutes and if I can't get it done while the kids are napping, then I will make sure they are set up to play somewhere nearby where I can fully concentrate on what I'm reading while they entertain themselves for awhile. It really has me relating daily life to Scripture. Isn't that the whole point?!

Anyway, I just thought I would share with you what I have found to work for me as far as eagerly seeking the Word in my life goes.

What works best for you?

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page