Monday, March 02, 2009

From the archives: "Faith in the Follow Me"

07.22.03

If I were to tell you that I could tight rope walk from one side of a 5000 foot gorge to the other would you believe me? It would be difficult to, I'm sure. But then, lets say that I took you with me to the gorge, started at one side, set up the rope to stretch across to the other securely, and then began to walk across it right in front of you. If I made it safely to the other side would you believe me then? Maybe, I mean you just saw me do what I said I could do. Then maybe I would do it again- to prove it to you. The more I did it the more you would believe I was capable of something that crazy right? That is what we think of when we talk about faith. Now you have faith that I can tight rope walk across a 5000 foot gorge. But that is not TRUE FAITH.

The Great Big Book of Everything (The Bible) tells us that faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1) {Take some time and read all of Hebrews chapter 11 if you would like some examples of faith.} The spiritual faith is more difficult than just seeing it done and then believing, like the tight rope scenario. We must believe BEFORE seeing it if we want our faith to be faith-filled. Its easy to have faith in something you have already seen be done. But how much harder is it to believe in something you have never seen be done before?

When Nathan and I were purchasing our home we couldn't walk through a model of our house because they hadn't built anything yet. All we had to go off of was a one-dimensional piece of paper that showed us the floor plan and dimensions. That was it. We had to have faith that we would like this flat little blueprint of a home because we weren't going to get to see it as anything more until it was built and paid for. But at least we had the floor plan! Ultimate faith is like buying the house without the floor plan to look at or having faith that I can walk a tight rope across a 5000 foot gorge without ever seeing me. If you think that is hard-get ready for part 2.

Lets go back to the tight rope scene- so I tell you I can walk across a tight rope over a 5000 foot gorge and lets say you believe me (without me ever demonstrating it) that we have established as true faith. But what if I then said, "Since you have faith I can do this, how about you jump on my back and I'll walk across the tight rope carrying you." Now, how do you feel?

Heck no!! That's scary! That is called following.

When Jesus called the disciples (and when Jesus calls to us) he said to them, "Come follow me." That's it. That is what the guys had to go off of. Not much of a blueprint. They didn't know who he was, what he did, where he was going or anything that would help them make their decision wisely. But what did they do? They dropped what they were doing and followed him. They had faith in what was unseen to them. They instantly believed that he was capable of doing what he said he could do and they were willing to jump on his back and go with him to do it. It wasn't easy. It isn't easy.

Trust that whatever it is that you are leaving behind to follow Christ it is worth sacrificing for what lies ahead. Your potential future is worth trading your current position for. Have faith AND follow. Its not one or the other and its not easy. So if your not ready for the drills, don't sign up for the boot camp.

Jesus tells us that the chasm (the gorge) can be conquered by way of the cross. Not by way of the golden road of daily bliss, but by the cross. If you want to get across you have to jump on his back in faith and follow. Have faith in the "follow me"!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks :)

Cathy said...

Bethany, I am thrilled at your post. What a great explanation of FAITH ! You are truely gifted my sister and I am thankful I had the opportunity to share with you how much I appreciate reading your posts and that it prompted you to dig into your archives. I eagerly look forward to reading more....God Bless You, Cathy

Locations of visitors to this page