Wednesday, May 06, 2009

More than just a tan

I had an amazing vacation but the best thing that came out of it was not a tan but clarity. Stepping out of my smaller story for a week allowed me the time to peel back the layers of my life and figure out what's really going on. Why have I been so tired? What makes me feel so alone? Who are the people I can really count on knowing my heart well enough not to judge me? The questions were numerous and the answers were clear. Through much prayer and quiet time, I came to a whole new understanding and vantage point of my life. When it came down to it I saw the miracle of my family. I have a man that loves me no matter what and two kids who light up when I enter the room. The unconditional, overcoming love of these three people have held me together more than I ever realized before. Most people fall apart from the inside out but my joy, strength and life come from being around these people. Serving them is what keeps me going each day. I feel a miracle has been placed in my hands and for too long I failed to recognize what gift this role truly is. I love being a mom. I love being a wife even more. I am blessed.
Sure there will be hard days. Sure there will be times when I want to run in the other direction. But because of the vision God gave me during my vacation I will never take this opportunity, to love on these three people, for granted again.

2 comments:

MOM said...

just look at that beautiful family. You are blessed. And you bless us in return. You are amazing and teach us all to be honest and deep in our soul search. I love you.

Kim Buckley said...

Bethany, that sentiment was a blessing to me to read on this Mother's Day. The importance of being a mommy hits me like nothing else. So glad to hear that your vacation was a blessing in so many ways!!

Locations of visitors to this page