Monday, June 22, 2009

A wake up call

A friend of mine is working in Uganda, Africa at a babies home and periodically she sends out updates letting us know how to pray for them. When I read her most recent letter I was moved to tears at the thought that somehow, so many people STILL don't understand how different and hard things are for the children there. Here is what she said, quite simply:

"I hope that you are all doing well! I am doing great, I have settled back into life here nicely! And I am really enjoying it! The last week or two has been very eventful!

Last weekend some of us volunteers took one of the children ‘Abdul’ out for his 5th birthday, we also took out his friends, some of the special needs children at the babies’ home. It was a lot of fun and they all really enjoyed it! On Wednesday we had a birthday party for all of the children that have a birthday in June.

This week has also been exciting for Abdul because he is going to Kenya for evaluation and possibly surgery to diagnose some of his difficulty eating, due to being fed acid as a baby. I just ask if you could pray for him as he is there that everything goes smoothly and that it is successful. And also for the volunteer Molly that has gone with him!

Today I took some of the children out to the Watoto village “Bbira” for a visit, to get familiar and spend some time there before they move there this Friday.

We took some of the girls out to pierce their ears on Friday, this is for their protection, because it makes them less likely to be abducted or used for child sacrifice, because they are not completely “pure” if that’s the right word...

There are about 25 to 30 children moving up, it is both a sad and happy occasion, because although we will miss them, it will be good for them to be in a family, and have plenty of room to run around and explore!

I am loving every single day here! I look forward to hearing from you as well! Thank you for loving me and supporting me!"

Look at that again... A 5 year old trying to recover from being fed acid as a baby. Girls getting their ears pierced as a way of protection against abduction and use as human sacrifices. This is reality to these people folks. How can you hear something like this and not DO something? How can a person not be willing to make a sacrifice to help these helpless kids?

Here are some places to start:

OUR ADOPTION FUND- we are adopting a child from Uganda Africa right now!






WATOTO BABIES HOME (BULRUSHES)- This is where our friend is volunteering and its owned and operated by the organization we served with while we were there in 2006.

INVISIBLE CHILDREN- Motivated by the unseen war in Northern Uganda, Invisible Children was created by three young filmmakers with a singular mission: To use the power of stories to change lives around the world.

1 comment:

Molly Pepper said...

You're adopting! I sent some money to help out. (Paypal may tell you my maiden name - Hubbard - instead of my married name - Pepper - so don't get confused.)

My husband's two sisters were adopted from China and we thank God for them every day. It is our prayer that one day we can afford to adopt internationally as well.

Congratulations and you're in my prayers through this journey!

Locations of visitors to this page